In Humanities, our intention is to provide our students with the tools they need to explore the world and their place within it. Through the study of challenging and diverse geography, history and religion, our students will be encouraged to become analytical citizens who can question human motivation and society, with skill and confidence.
Key Stage 3
In Key Stage 3 RE, students will learn about different world religions, develop skills in evaluating points of view, question ideas and beliefs, and produce pieces of extended writing. Underpinning our RE curriculum are the following four concepts:
- Provoke challenging questions about the meaning and purpose of life
- Encourage students to explore their own beliefs
- Develop respect and tolerance for others
- Consider responsibilities to themselves and others
Key Stage 4
In Key Stage 4 RE, students will build upon the knowledge and skills developed at Key Stage 3 through a sequence of challenging lessons which will effectively prepare them for GCSE assessment at the end of Year 11. The course will include:
- Learning how religion, philosophy and ethics form the basis of our culture.
- Studying the practices and beliefs of different religions and examining religious viewpoints and perspectives on certain themes.