The Arts at Springwell aim to prepare students to be culturally aware and creatively open-minded citizens in a world where the diverse range of visual and expressive arts are an important influence in everyday life. It does this by:
- Providing insight into a range of visual and expressive, cultural and creative experiences
- Challenging students to use a range of arts disciplines, materials and techniques.
- Creating an understanding of the impacts of creative subjects within the wider world.
- Giving students the vocabulary and technical know-how that allows them to communicate and express their creativity.
- Appreciation of the arts in the wider context of different cultures, genres and historical settings.
Key Stage 3
Provides a structured sequence of lessons to give a grounding in knowledge and skills that develop students as creative performers both now and in the future, as well as preparing them to study Dance as a qualification at Key Stage 4 and beyond. The course will include:
- Practical and theoretical understanding of performance, choreography and the rehearsal process.
- Develop an appreciation of the art form and skills needed.
- The impact of an aesthetically pleasing performance for the audience and the performer.
- Exploration of the different dance styles and genre.
Key Stage 4
Creates a sequence of lessons to build upon the knowledge and skills developed at Key Stage 3. The aim is to deepen a student’s exploration of dance and challenge their concepts and viewpoints to enable them to become thinking dancers, as well as equipping them to study the qualification at a higher level. The course will include:
- An in-depth investigation into the performing arts with specific understanding of production and how it contributes to audience understanding.
- The application of knowledge, techniques and skills needed as a performer and choreographer.
- Develop an understanding and awareness of dancers and their impact within the discipline.
- Develop the knowledge and understanding of the skills required to perform to a brief.